Mmm crab cakes! One of my very favorite appetizers in the whole world and one that I like to make into a full meal. Wondering what to serve with crab cakes to compliment them? I've got you covered with a variety of tasty side dishes and few mouth watering dipping sauces too.
And if you are looking for the perfect crab cake recipe, I've got 3. I've got the best traditional crab cake recipe here, Crispy Corn And Crab Fritters With Spicy Mayo and some really tasty low carb crab cake recipe too! No crab? Try these delicious Easy Old Fashioned Salmon Patties.
Catching your own or bringing home live crab? Read How Long Can Crabs Be Kept On Ice for safe handling info.
What goes with crab cakes?
I'm glad you asked. Crab cakes are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside with a combination of sweet and salty flavors. Light salads with lemon or vinegar based dressing go well and refresh the palate. Crisp raw or cooked vegetables go well too. As for a carbohydrate, rice dishes, polenta or veggie purees pair perfectly. Find more ideas of What To Serve With Crab Cakes.
Here are my top 16 sides
I've broken these recipes into those categories to make it easy to find what you are looking for.
The number one thing you need with crab cakes is a good dipping sauce. My recipes all have delicious dipping sauces (roasted red pepper low carb dip, lemon aioli and spicy mayo) but I believe variety is the spice of life, right?! So here are a few more tangy, delicious choices!
- Tartar sauce. Truly a classic and really easy to make at home. This version is creamy and tangy and done in just 5 minutes!
2. Love spicy mayo? Try this quick and easy 5-ingredient sriracha aioli for a spicy crab cake dip.
3. How about a slightly spicy basil aioli? Equally good as a dip or salad dressing, this piquant sauce goes really well with our hero, crab.
Add one of these refreshing salads that compliment the rich fried crab cakes and refresh your palate.
- Start with an elevated garden salad with a zippy orange vinaigrette to cut through the oil. You can even serve the crab cakes on top of this bright salad.
2. When you ask what goes with crab cakes, coleslaw is probably the most common answer in many areas! This buttermilk and mayo coleslaw is the perfect take on this salad and will have you coming back for more!
3. Rocket (aka Arugula) and Pear Salad with an apple cider dressing is light tasting and also hearty with the addition of roasted yams.
4. A crisp and lemony kale salad is pleasantly refreshing and really fast to make.
5. For a heartier salad, try this tomato and cucumber version made more hearty with the addition of walnuts and a shower of herbs.
Simple, crisp or creamy veggie sides are a welcome addition to a meal of crab cakes. I like to keep the simple to let the sweet crab shine.
- Simple green beans in butter are tender crisp and the color is a wonderful compliment to the cakes.
2. Corn and crab go really well together. Steam up a pot or try this grilled corn on the cob for something extra special.
3. Lemon and rosemary flavor this easy roasted broccoli that compliment our seafood star wonderfully.
Cook up one of these comforting sides to finish off your crab cake dinner!
- Asparagus risotto is a creamy classic with tender tips of asparagus and a hint of lemon that helps this pair wonderfully with the crab.
2. Mushroom risotto is also a welcome pairing to serve alongside. The earthiness of mushrooms (store bought work if you don't have wild) adds a little extra flair to this creamy Italian dish.
3. Creamy white beans add extra protein and are a wonderful creamy side dish when you want a hearty meal.
4. Garlic bread. Need I say more?
5. Simple potatoes, mashed, roasted or smothered like these ones are also friends with our crispy crab patties.
I hope this helps you figure out what to serve with crab cakes and that you find a new favorite combo. . Got a favorite I didn't feature? Let me know about it below!
Cheers friends! Sabrina
Have a wonderful day and a delicious dinner,