Strawberries, rhubarb, oatmeal + yogurt = Healthy AND delicious!
This muffin recipe is sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth, it's quick easy with just a few ingrediens. Made healthy with oats, eggs and non-fat Greek yogurt for lots of fiber and protein and the strawberry rhubarb combination is just so dang delicious. I feel good sending them in my kids lunch bags or enjoying one with afternoon coffee.
Spring is the season for strawberries and rhubarb
It's past May long weekend and that means gardening season is in full swing. I've got many of my summer season seeds and starters in and am now picking lots of herbs (hello cilantro, parsley, mint and a small bit of volunteer dill!) in addition to my rhubarb. I recently posted a rhubarb salsa recipe because I usually prefer savory dishes but with the combination of rhubarb and strawberries fresh right now, who can resist a few sweet recipes! While my strawberries are just little green buds and not ready for a few weeks, there are lots of strawberries on sale now in the stores because they are in season not too far south of here. (You might also love my Ultimate Strawberry Rhubarb Shortcake or my Rhubarb Snack Cake too!)
Fast and easy baking project
I know I mentioned before I'm not much of a baker because I find it can be fussy, messy and I have to be exact but muffins are much more forgiving and also very fast. The only dishes I have after making these are a bowl, a 2 cup measuring cup, a tablespoon, fork and my measuring spoons, all of which I can happily plunk into the dishwasher. So with that (and that I need to get out and water my garden) I leave you with the recipe. Enjoy and happy gardening, friends!
PS. If you're looking for for some awesome vintage plates or serveware for your muffins or want to freshen up your kitchen with AMAZING linen tea towel, check out our shop here! We have European damask linen and plain, long-wearing everyday linen tea towels and tablecloths that double as luxe (and machine washable) picnic blankets!
Quick and Easy Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
- 1 c Unbleached Flour
- 1 c Quick Oats or Steel Cut Oats
- ⅔ c Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Table Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 c Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
- ¼ c Vegetable Oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 c Strawberries chopped into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 c Rhubarb chopped into ¼ inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 375'.
- Stir all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a 2 cup measuring cup, add the eggs and beat until lightly frothy (this should be approx. ½ c volume) then add the yogurt, oil and vanilla and stir until mixed.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until well mixed together. Let this sit and soften the oats while you chop the strawberries and rhubarb.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with liners. Stir in the chopped strawberries and rhubarb into the batter and then spoon into the muffin cups. These will be quite full, that's ok. Put the muffins into the oven and bake 22-28 min (my batches took 25 minutes).
- When done, test with a toothpick, it should come out dry. The muffins will be lightly browned on some edges but not brown all over.