If you haven't tried Hershey Kiss Chocolate Blossom Christmas Cookies, the time has come! These taste like chocolate brownie cookies with a crunchy outside, a soft buttery inside, and are topped with a Hershey's Kiss. They're a crowd favorite, easy to make and you can customize them for any holiday or party theme!
- Why You Should Make These Cookies
- Customize These Cookies
- Substitutions + Variations
- Chocolate Blossom Cookies How-To Video
- Step By Step Instructions
- Pro Tip
- Make And Freeze Christmas Cookie Dough
- Storage + Freezing
- Related Recipes
- Pin It For Later
- A Gift For You
- 📖 Recipe
- Get My Free Book
- 10 Herbs 10 Ways
- 💬 Community
Why You Should Make These Cookies
The best thing about these cookies is how easy they are to make. You can whip up a batch of these chocolate blossom cookies in under 30 minutes and they're made with pantry staples that you probably already have, so all you'll need to buy are the Hershey's Kisses! Christmas cookies are a great addition to a delicious cookie platter at any Christmas party.
Christmas sprinkles give a crunchy texture to the shell of the cookie while the inside stays soft. A smooth, creamy milk chocolate Kiss in the center of each cookie finishes them off with a decadent bite for the perfect Christmas cookie.
These were inspired by classic chocolate kiss cookies, reimagined into a delicious Christmas version for a favorite holiday cookie. If you're a chocolate lover, try my Chocolate Hazelnut Tart and Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Coulis for a special holiday dessert. Similar looking, my Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies with Cream Cheese Icing are another delicious tasting filled cookie.
Customize These Cookies
I love how easy these cookies are to customize. I've made these into Christmas blossom cookies by using red and green nonpareils making them perfect for a Christmas cookie platter, but you can easily change up the colors to suit any holiday cookie tray. Orange for Halloween, Pink for Valentines, Green for St. Patricks day...you get the idea.
With only 9 ingredients, these Hershey’s kiss cookies are full of pantry staples that you probably already have in your kitchen.
- Chocolate Hershey's Kisses - I love classic milk chocolate kisses in this recipe, but you can use any flavor of Hershey Kisses you prefer! You might want to pick up more than one bag of Hershey kisses to keep on hand for these easy Christmas cookies.
- Christmas Colored Nonpareils - Also known as sprinkles, the chocolate cookies will be rolled in nonpareils to create a crunchy and festive outside layer.
- Cocoa Powder - Did you know cocoa powder is actually good for you? It contains antioxidants that help to improve cholesterol and blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. I love the Ghirardelli cocoa powder from Costco.
See full recipe below for quantities.
Substitutions + Variations
One of my favorite things about these cookies is how customizable they are! We love these for Christmas time, but here are some ideas for how you can adjust the decorations on these blossom cookies to make them suitable for any holiday season.
- Halloween Blossom Cookies - Roll in orange and black nonpareils and top with a dark chocolate kiss. Or leave the nonpareils off and add a squeeze of colorful icing under each kiss to make little witches hats!
- Valentine's Day Blossom Cookies - Roll in pink nonpareils and top with a white chocolate kiss or a Dove chocolate heart!
- Easter Blossom Cookies - Use a variety of pastel colored nonpareils and use a small chocolate egg in place of the kiss.
No matter which time of the year you're making chocolate blossom cookies, you can change up the flavors by using the Hershey's candy kiss flavors that are available during that time of year. Look for fun flavors like:
- Milk, white, and dark chocolate
- Strawberry or vanilla frosting filled
- Mint truffle and candy cane (perfect for making chocolate peppermint blossoms!)
- Sugar cookie
- Cookies and creme
Chocolate Blossom Cookies How-To Video
Watch this short cookie video to see how easy these are!
Step By Step Instructions
These chocolate blossom cookies are made with a classic chocolate cookie recipe. You'll mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet ingredients in another, and then combine the two to make a chocolate cookie dough.
The decorations come together easily, too! All you need to do is roll the cookie dough balls in the sprinkles before making and press a chocolate chip into the top of the cookies after baking. How easy is that?
Tips Before Starting: Preheat oven to 350º,put the chocolate kisses in the refrigerator to chill, and set butter out to let it get to room temperature.
1. Pre heat oven to 350' F. Measure all purpose flour, cocoa, and salt into a small bowl.
2. Mix dry ingredients together and set aside.
3. Put softened unsalted butter and sugar into a separate large bowl or glass measuring cup . Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
4. Add egg and vanilla extract to butter mixture.
5. Beat with a hand mixer until well combined.
6. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
7. Mix until fully incorporated. Scoop dough with a tablespoon or cookie scoop and roll them into 1-inch balls.
8. Dip balls into nonpareils and roll to coat evenly.
9. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes.
10. Immediately after cookies come out of the oven, press a Hershey’s Kiss into the middle of each cookie while warm and then slide them off the baking sheets onto a wire rack. Let cool fully before storing.
A properly prepared baking sheet is essential. I love using parchment paper (or silicone mats) for easy cleanup and perfect non-stick results every time.
If you don't have parchment or non stick baking mats, you can grease your cookie sheet with shortening or block margarine instead. (I don't recommend butter for greasing the cookie sheet because it can burn and stain your cookie sheets.)
Make And Freeze Christmas Cookie Dough
You can freeze the uncooked balls of dough! Freeze uncooked Hershey kiss chocolate blossom cookies on cookie trays and then transfer to zip top freezer bags. To bake, take them out of the freezer and let them thaw in the fridge overnight. Then take them out of the bag and bake as per the recipe, topping with the Hershey kisses after baking.
Storage + Freezing
After the Hershey kiss cookies have completely cooled, store them in a Ziploc bag or an airtight container. They will keep at room temperature for up to 5 days. They can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
These easy, chocolate blossom Christmas cookies are perfect for freezing. They will keep well in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to enjoy them, let them defrost at room temperature in the same container in which you froze them. Not opening the container during defrost will help to prevent dry cookies!
Hershey kiss chocolate blossom Christmas cookies are great to keep on hand for unexpected guests, potlucks, and kids classroom parties.
Pin It For Later
Save these Hershey kiss chocolate blossom Christmas cookies to Pinterest of Facebook so you can easily find them when your ready to do your Christmas baking.
A Gift For You
Happy holidays everyone! I hope the season is filled with all your favorite Christmas cookies. And to stay organized over the holidays, don't forget you can print the FREE week planner.
Cheers friends! Sabrina
Hershey Kiss Chocolate Blossom Christmas Cookies
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup nonpareils (festive sprinkles)
- 16 Hershey’s Kisses
- Preheat oven to 350º. Stir flour, cocoa, and salt together in a bowl and set aside
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add and beat in egg and vanilla extract for 1 more minute.
- Stir in the flour mixture and mix just until fully incorporated.
- Scoop out by the tablespoon and roll into 1 inch balls. Roll the cookie dough balls into nonpareils and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet with about 2 inches of space between each.
- Bake for 10 minutes. While the cookies are baking, unwrap Hershey’s Kisses.
- As soon as cookies come out of the oven, press a Hershey’s Kiss into the center of each, and set aside to cool.