You know I LOVE a good Mushroom Soup full of fresh mushrooms (make mine wild mushrooms please!). I could eat it daily throughout fall and winter. To make it a full meal, I love to add a salad or veggies, some crusty bread or other crispy bite. If you too, love mushroom soup, here are the very best sides to serve with mushroom soup!
Top 10 Ways To Garnish Mushroom Soup
Whether you open a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup or make a fantastic homemade creamy soup, sometimes you just want to add that little something extra. Here are some different ways to add some extra savory flavor to this comforting dish.
P.S. Don't forget a dusting of fresh black pepper too!
- Add a swirl of heavy cream to each bowl of steaming soup for a luxurious touch. To make it even fancier, lightly whip the cream with a pinch of salt. Spoon it into the center of the bowl like a fluffy cloud.
- Fried Oyster Mushrooms or sauteed white button mushrooms are a natural.
- A spoonful of wild rice or caramelized onions add great texture.
- Top with fresh, chopped parsley, chives, scallions or tarragon.
- Not just for salads, top your hot mushroom soup with some croutons. Freshly fried cubes of stale bread are my favorite but store bought garlic croutons adds a good crunch too.
- A spoonful of Greek yogurt or low fat sour cream adds a gentle tang and creaminess without the fat of heavy cream.
- Crumbled crispy bacon.
- Soft nuts like hazelnuts, pistachios or walnuts, coarsely chopped.
- Chopped pieces of leftovers (protein or veg) is a great idea. Add a spoonful of finely diced chicken, pork or even potatoes to your soup.
- Soda crackers, aka saltines are always in style.
What Sandwiches Go With Mushroom Soup?
Soup and a sandwich is the ultimate classic pairing. A bowl of homemade soup with a flavorful hearty sandwich might just be the best meal there is for lunch or dinner. For a sandwich to be a great side dish, it's got to have good texture and add extra flavor.
Sandwiches that are sweet, salty, creamy and crispy all make a great side dish. Hot sauce, pickles, relish or vinegar add picante contrast.
Make a classic grilled cheese or go sweet and spicy with an apple brie grilled cheese. Want to go even bolder? Choose a buffalo chicken version or a New Orleans Muffuletta. For ultra rich comfort, go with the mozza French toast sandwich. Ooey, gooey, good!
Salads make it easy to serve a variety of side dishes. They add bright flavor to your favorite mushroom soup recipe and balance a meal.
Apple walnut and the roasted veggie and cheese versions work well with classic mushroom soup.
For a spunkier mushroom soup like a broth based or creamy Hungarian mushroom soup recipe, go for something creamier or milder. Try the ham and cheese salad or Cali chicken salad for creamy. For a bright and light choice, the apple kale slaw is the perfect foil.
For almost any fungi soup, (try my favorite broth based soup, Padma Lakshmi's mushroom soup, her use of parmesan rind works brilliantly in this), a classic Caesar, the zucchini feta, or the beet orange salad will add a wonderful flavor and contrast.
The Veggies And Dip
Instead of a salad, vegetables and dip are an easy way to add vegetables. These dips work equally well with raw veg, crispy potato chips or as a dollop garnishing your bowl of soup. Dips are also a great choice as a make ahead dish.
Small Bites To Pair With Soup
Next time you make cream of mushroom soup, try on the these delicious little bites. Crab or vegetarian fritters, arancini, zucchini sticks, crostini, tart, quiche, SPAM fries and empanadas all make interesting and delicious sides for simple mushroom soup recipes.
These tasty side dishes take a simple meal of mushroom soup to the next level. Adding a crispy bite of bold flavor is a great way to make it an extra special family meal.
Bread And Rolls
Who doesn't love some crusty bread, a bun fresh from the oven or a biscuit spread with butter to go with a bowl of soup?! Creamy mushroom soup loves a fresh loaf or torn chunk of bread to swipe through the creamy texture and get every last bit.
Warm a local, artisanal loaf in your oven or make one of these fantastic recipes. I love to pair my bread based on which mushroom soup recipe I'm making and the company I am serving.
Pin It For Later
Cheers friends! Sabrina