Chanterelle Season On The West Coast
Deep and rich in flavor, this soup is classic for a reason. Indulge in a little cream to finish it and breathe in the heavenly scent from my secret ingredient. Read on to find out how I get the best and most mushroomy flavor possible.
I've been cooking up a mushroom storm. Mushroom toasts, a delicious croustade, on salads, Fried Oyster Mushrooms, and in Mushroom Lentil Stew but this wild mushroom soup is one of my absolute favorites.
Wonder what to serve with mushroom soup? Check out 50 Best Sides To Serve With Mushroom Soup!
For a fantastic fall dessert, apples can't be beat. I've got you covered with Cinnamon Rolls With Apple Pie Filling, Apple Crumble Tartlets and the Best Apple Oatmeal Cake ever. I've got to admit, I might like the foods of autumn the best.
Early Fall Rains Bring Wild Mushrooms
I thoroughly enjoyed this summer and gave myself some much needed downtime. At the lake with my kids and family as well as some stay-cations up and down Vancouver Island. Our summer ended abruptly and with a ton of rain but the silver lining is the incredible mushroom season we've been having.
Chanterelle and Lobster mushrooms are prolific in our area and we tried three new kinds this year. Hedgehog mushrooms which we loved, Pigs Ear that were so-so for us, and Puffballs which were a collective yuck in our house, any of you like them? We also love morels in the spring but these are usually much harder to find, for us anyway. I have lots of mushroom recipes because they are one of my absolute favourite ingredients.
The Secret Ingredient
What makes this mushroom soup different than others is that the mushrooms are pureed with a secret ingredient for the body of the soup. A small amount of this amazing flavour bomb enriches and deepens the flavour and makes this stand out from every other mushroom soup you've likely ever tried.
What's the secret ingredient? Porcini mushroom powder! Just pop a small bag of the dried porcini (usually ½ oz or 1 oz bags at grocery store) into a small blender or food processor and pulse until mostly powdery with only a few small pieces remaining. This mushroom powder is absolutely delicious in gravy or to kick up the depth and umami of many vegetarian dishes. I pop the leftover powder back in the bag and keep it handy, adding it in often to my cooking.
Welcome to soup season my friends!!!
If you have any questions or comments, you can find me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. I try to answer any recipe related questions quickly as I know you might be in the middle of making it. Also check out my FREE PRINTABLE meal planner to make menu planning and grocery shopping a breeze. And if you like this recipe, I would love it if you give it a star rating in the recipe card.
Cheers and happy cooking, Friends! Sabrina
West Coast Wild Mushroom Soup
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 5 c Mixed Wild Mushrooms, diced About 1 lb
- 1 ½ c Onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Thyme Sprigs or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tablespoon Porcini Powder Dried porcini mushrooms ground finely in blender or food processor. See note below.
- 3 tablespoon Butter
- ⅓ c Flour
- 4 c Chicken Broth or vegetable broth
- ¼ c Dry White Wine Unoaked
- 1 c Heavy Cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Parsley and Thyme to garnish
- Heat oil on medium in a mid-sized pot, then add onion and saute until translucent. Add mushrooms, thyme, bay and porcini, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and saute until starting to brown lightly. Remove ½ cup of these mushrooms to a bowl and save for garnish.
- Turn heat to low, push mushrooms to side of pan and add butter to other side to melt. Once melted, add flour, stir and cook until lightly bubbling. Add broth and wine and stir vigorously to prevent lumps. Simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, remove herb sprigs and puree with an immersion blender (or in a regular blender very carefully).
- Add cream, reserving 2 tablespoon if desired for garnish, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Turn off heat as soon as soup cream is heated and pour into bowls, garnishing with herbs, reserved mushrooms and additional cream if desired.