Mexican Flavour BC Wild Tuna
This week I am posting a fun Mexican style recipe with BC Seafood, Tuna Ceviche using BC Albacore Tuna. This is the continuation of last weeks post which featured BC Pink Shrimp in a Mexican style shrimp cocktail.
Together these make fabulous, fresh and healthy appetizers that are often made in the summer but I think they are equally welcome at this time of year when much of the food is heavy and many people welcome a healthy choice.
More Mexican Appetizers
I have also included my simple guacamole recipe which rounds out this Mexican appetizer feast by adding a creamy, vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free dip to the mix. (I purposely omitted jalapeno in this recipe because the other two appetizers are spicy and I think it’s nice to have something mild for kids or others who may not like spice but by all means, add in jalapeno as you like.) Served with crispy tortilla chips and some endive spears for dipping, this makes a great party platter that can accommodate almost any diet and all the preparations can be made ahead, leaving you time to relax and enjoy the party.
Frozen At Sea Tuna For The Win
BC frozen-at-sea albacore tuna is perfect for ceviche for a few reasons. It is almost always flash frozen to a very low temperature at sea keeping it fresh tasting year round and making it sashimi grade which is great for food safety when serving seafood raw. The fish will “cook” in the lime juice so you could simply use any really fresh fish but I prefer the added safety of sashimi grade seafood when serving company. Albacore tuna is some of the mildest flavoured tuna species and also quite lean, in my opinion it is best raw or grilled rare so it doesn’t dry out.
Let me know below if you try these recipes I’d love to know how you like them and if you want to get all the new recipes right to your inbox as they are published, sign up in the side bar!
BC Albacore Tuna Ceviche
- 1/2 c Red Onion, Finely Diced
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 12 oz Sushi Grade Albacore Tuna, 1/4″ Diced 3/4 lb or 2 cups once cubed
- 1-2 Jalapeno(s), Very Finely Diced
- 2 Limes, Juiced Minimum 1/2 c juice, use more limes if needed
- 1/2 c Cilantro, Chopped
- Salt And Pepper To Taste
- In a medium bowl, combine onion and salt and let sit to macerate while preparing tuna and jalapeno.
- Add tuna, jalapeno and lime juice, toss gently and marinate in fridge 1/2 hour or up to 4 hours.
- Just before serving, add cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Guacamole-Simple, Fresh, Easy and Vegan
- 1/4 c Red Onion, Minced
- 1 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- 1/4 c Tomato, Finely Chopped
- 1 Lime, Juiced 2-4 tbsp of juice, to taste
- Salt And Pepper To Taste
- Mix together onion, vinegar, and salt and let sit 10 minutes.
- Peel and add avocado and mash to desired consistency, add lime juice to taste (minimum 2 tbsp to prevent browning, up to 4 tbsp for extra zip).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with tortilla chips.