Happy Friday everyone! Today I’m posting a recipe I’ve been making so often lately, Seared Tuna Nicoise Salad with Asparagus and Arugula. It’s fresh, fast, healthy and high in protein and the dressing is a total umami bomb with anchovy, capers and dijon. It’s easy enough for a weeknight but also looks elegant enough for a weekend meal. Right now I have the arugula and asparagus growing in my garden and in the summer, I’ll be making it with my string beans instead of asparagus. Get a small pot of water on to boil first and then you can make the rest of the salad while your eggs are boiling. Have a great weekend, friends!
Seared Ahi Tuna Nicoise Salad
- 2 6 oz Ahi Tuna Steaks Boneless
- 1/2 tsp Olive Oil for brushing on tuna
- 1/2 tsp Seasoning Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 2 small New Potatoes 3/4" dice
- 2 c Arugula
- 6-10 Asparagus Spears depending on size, cut in half
- 6 Cherry Tomatoes quartered
- 10 Nicoise or Mixed Hot Olives
- 1 tbsp Shallot finely chopped
- 1 Anchovy mashed, (or 1 tsp anchovy paste)
- 1 tbsp Capers
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp Sherry Vinager
- 1/2 tsp Raw Sugar
- 1/4 c Olive Oil
- S+P to taste
Prepare Salad Ingredients
- Put a small pot of water on to boil and preheat a non-stick frying pan on medium.
- Pat Tuna steaks dry with paper towel, brush very lightly with olive oil, sprinkle lightly with seasoning salt and place in frying pan once preheated. Cook 2 minutes each side for rare and up to 4 minutes per side for well done (I recommend rare). When finished, place on plate and let rest while finishing salad.
- Once water is boiling, place 2 eggs in water and turn down to simmer for 6-8 minutes depending how runny you want your egg. Using a slotted spoon, remove eggs and put in cold water over for 1 minute to stop cooking. Do not drain water.
- Place cubed potatoes into simmering water and cook for 8-10 minutes until cooked through but still firm. While potatoes are cooking, place halved asparagus spears in same pot and cook 1 minute, then remove with slotted spoon and run cold water over quickly to stop cooking. Once potatoes are done, drain in colander, discarding water.
- While ingredients are cooking make dressing. Mash Anchovy in bowl with back of fork, then mix in the rest of the dressing ingredients and whisk well.
Assemble the Salad
- Peel the eggs. On each plate, put half the arugula in the middle then surround the greens with the asparagus, potatoes, egg cut in half or quarters, tomatoes, and olives. Slice the Tuna against the grain and place on top.Drizzle the dressing over the top. The dressing makes enough for 4 so you will have more dressing than you need for this recipe so reserve the rest for another salad.