There are many homemade peanut sauce recipes but this one is my favourite. Quick and delicious with just a few ingredients, this easy peanut sauce baked chicken is a snap to make. You can even make the peanut sauce ahead of time then it takes just seconds to throw in the oven when you're ready.
I love a quick and easy dinner that is still flavorful and pretty. For more quick dinners, try my 30 minute Chicken and Sun Dried Tomato Pasta, Chicken Skewer Recipes or the Easiest Seafood Alfredo. For another peanut chicken recipe, you might like Spicy Thai Peanut Chicken Noodles and for plain peanut sauce dipping, make my Shrimp Salad Rolls with Easy Peanut Sauce.
This easy peanut sauce has 8 ingredients but you probably have most of them in your pantry or fridge already.
- Peanut butter is of course required and you can use smooth or crunchy depending on your preference.
- Soy sauce is the next important ingredient for that deep Asian flavor that really transforms the peanut butter.
- Sweet chili sauce takes the place of sugar and mild spice
- Fresh garlic and ginger add authentic and fresh flavor that make this stand out above any store bought version.
Step By Step Instructions
- Preheat your oven so it's ready by the time you're done your peanut sauce.
- Combine all the peanut sauce ingredients except the oils into a small food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add in your oil and blend until emulsified.
- Lay your chicken thighs in a baking dish and top with peanut sauce, stir to coat and then bake.
4. Edges will get dark brown as the sauce thickens and glazes your chicken.
5. Serve while hot with some rice or go the extra mile with citrus slaw and some naan bread or roti.
-Garnish with fresh herbs or seeds like cilantro, basil, mint or sesame seeds.
-Warm some store bought naan or roti in the oven to wrap around chunks of this saucy Thai satay flavored chicken. Add some citrus dressed slaw in too for a restaurant worthy meal.
- Gluten Free - Use a gf tamari sauce in place of the soy sauce and ensure your peanut butter is gluten free as well.
- Peanut Sauce Pork - Use pork chops instead of chicken (adjust cooking time as needed to make sure pork is cooked through), slice the pork after cooking and wrap in lettuce leaves.
- Chicken Finger Dip - Instead of baking your chicken with the sauce, try baking chicken tenders with simple salt and pepper then serving the easy peanut sauce as a dip on the side.
This recipe will make about 2 cups of sauce. 1 cup gets baked on the chicken and you can serve the other cup alongside with some roti or naan bread or save it for spring rolls later in the week. This peanut sauce recipe will last at 7-10 days in the fridge or you can freeze leftovers to use later. The baked chicken will last 3 days in the fridge.
What To Serve With Peanut Chicken
I love this with a light coleslaw. I use my citrus dressing (Garden Salad with Orange Vinaigrette) over shredded cabbage as our main side dish. Crisp apple cider dressed Apple Fennel Salad also pairs really well.
Peanut Sauce Baked Chicken is easy, delicious and will make quick work of any dinner, weekend or weeknight just like most of my recipes.
For more on what I'm cooking up, follow me on Instagram or Facebook. You might also like my FREE printable weekly meal planner.
Cheers friends! Sabrina
Cheers Friends, I hope you have a delicious day,
Easy Peanut Sauce Baked Chicken
- ½ c Soy Sauce (or GF Tamari Sauce)
- ½ c Peanut Butter ANY peanut butter works, all-natural, crunchy, smooth-whatever!
- ½ c Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 3 cloves Garlic, peeled and sliced (about 2-3 teaspoon grated)
- 1" Piece Ginger, thinly sliced across the grain (about 1 tablespoon grated)
- ¼ c Vegetable Oil (olive oil is also fine)
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1-3 teaspoon *Optional* Sambel Oelek This is tasty but go easy on the spice level if you're making this for kids
- 8-10 Chicken Thighs, boneless, skinless This will easily coat up to 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken pieces
- Optional garnishes include: Green onion, cilantro, basil, mint, parsley and sesame seeds.
- Preheat oven to 350'F
- Combine first 6 ingredients in small food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Then add oils (and sambal oelek if using) and further blend until emulsified.
- Lay chicken thighs snugly together in a single layer in a baking dish. Add half of the peanut sauce and stir to coat, then bake in oven 30-35 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Edges of dish may get dark but the chicken will be nicely caramelized and glazed with the sauce as well as some sauce remaining in pan to spoon over when serving.
- Serve immediately with with rice or flat bread and a delicious fresh salad or slaw. Serve with additional peanut sauce for dipping or store extra sauce in fridge for a week or in freezer for 3 months.
Beautiful plating and presentation Sabrina! Love peanut sauce and use it as a salad dressing often, here with the chicken,it looks delicious!!
Thanks Shailaja, I agree, so good on salad 🙂
This is such a versatile sauce--with SO much flavour. I do add the Sambal Oelek as you suggested. Bring on the heat! Thanks.
Thanks Elaine! I love the sambal too 🙂
Love how easy this is to put together...and so flavourful!
Aw thanks Vanessa 🙂 so glad you liked it!
This peanut sauce is delicious and so versatile. We use it on everything. Thanks for the recipe!
Awesome Colleen! Thank you so much for sharing your success:-)
Love a good peanut sauce , and you've done a lovely job of this one! I haven't made it out to the Island in a little while now (sigh), but I'll have to try to get to Sobo one of these days. That being said, I think you've done a spectacular job with this recipe, and I love the idea of extending the uses for a classic peanut sauce recipe! Cheers!
Thanks Sean! I’m a big fan of making recipes that are big enough for two dinners!
I love simple recipes like this for summertime, it's perfect on these sweltering hot summer days. Will definitely be making this again.
Thank you Kristen, I’m so glad you loved it!
This sounds like the perfect quick and easy weeknight recipe my whole family will enjoy!
Bernice M Hill
I think I need to take out some chicken to thaw so I can make this recipe tomorrow. I can never refuse a great peanut sauce, it's just so tasty and satisfying.
Yes, it’s always a crowd pleaser And this one is so easy!
Yum, I love peanut sauce but have never thought to bake it with chicken until I saw your post! Thanks for a great recipe!
You’re welcome Kelly! Enjoy 🙂
loved it! Had everything on hand . I will use this in several ways 🙂
Thanks Krista, I’m so glad you liked it!
This recipe is absolutely delicious and so beautifully plated.
Thank you for taking the time to let me know Ramona 🙂
Thanks so much for this recipe - I know what I making on Sunday!
Awesome Lindsay, enjoy!
This chicken with peanut sauce is amazing! Can't wait to make it again!
Thanks for the recipe-I love peanut sauce, I'll have it on everything!
Thanks Chloe, it's so addicting isn't it?!
This chicken is amazing - love this recipe.
Great recipe. The peanut sauce is very tasty.
Thank you Laura! We love that sauce on everything!
Love absolutely everything about this recipe. A hit in the family.
Mmm, so good. It came together really quickly. And it was delicious!
This Peanut Sauce Baked Chicken is making my tummy growl!
That’s my aim! Thanks Dennis 🙂
Quick and easy, made with brined chicken breasts and it was great!
Awesome Diane! Great job using chicken breasts!