There are many homemade peanut sauce recipes but this one is my favourite. Quick and delicious with just a few ingredients, this easy peanut sauce baked chicken is a snap to make. You can even make the peanut sauce ahead of time then it takes just seconds to throw in the oven when you're ready.
I love a quick and easy dinner that is still flavorful and pretty. For more quick dinners, try my 30 minute Chicken and Sun Dried Tomato Pasta, Chicken Skewer Recipes or the Easiest Seafood Alfredo. For another peanut chicken recipe, you might like Spicy Thai Peanut Chicken Noodles and for plain peanut sauce dipping, make my Shrimp Salad Rolls with Easy Peanut Sauce.
This easy peanut sauce has 8 ingredients but you probably have most of them in your pantry or fridge already.
- Peanut butter is of course required and you can use smooth or crunchy depending on your preference.
- Soy sauce is the next important ingredient for that deep Asian flavor that really transforms the peanut butter.
- Sweet chili sauce takes the place of sugar and mild spice
- Fresh garlic and ginger add authentic and fresh flavor that make this stand out above any store bought version.
Step By Step Instructions
- Preheat your oven so it's ready by the time you're done your peanut sauce.
- Combine all the peanut sauce ingredients except the oils into a small food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add in your oil and blend until emulsified.
- Lay your chicken thighs in a baking dish and top with peanut sauce, stir to coat and then bake.
4. Edges will get dark brown as the sauce thickens and glazes your chicken.
5. Serve while hot with some rice or go the extra mile with citrus slaw and some naan bread or roti.
-Garnish with fresh herbs or seeds like cilantro, basil, mint or sesame seeds.
-Warm some store bought naan or roti in the oven to wrap around chunks of this saucy Thai satay flavored chicken. Add some citrus dressed slaw in too for a restaurant worthy meal.
- Gluten Free - Use a gf tamari sauce in place of the soy sauce and ensure your peanut butter is gluten free as well.
- Peanut Sauce Pork - Use pork chops instead of chicken (adjust cooking time as needed to make sure pork is cooked through), slice the pork after cooking and wrap in lettuce leaves.
- Chicken Finger Dip - Instead of baking your chicken with the sauce, try baking chicken tenders with simple salt and pepper then serving the easy peanut sauce as a dip on the side.
This recipe will make about 2 cups of sauce. 1 cup gets baked on the chicken and you can serve the other cup alongside with some roti or naan bread or save it for spring rolls later in the week. This peanut sauce recipe will last at 7-10 days in the fridge or you can freeze leftovers to use later. The baked chicken will last 3 days in the fridge.
What To Serve With Peanut Chicken
I love this with a light coleslaw. I use my citrus dressing (Garden Salad with Orange Vinaigrette) over shredded cabbage as our main side dish. Crisp apple cider dressed Apple Fennel Salad also pairs really well.
Peanut Sauce Baked Chicken is easy, delicious and will make quick work of any dinner, weekend or weeknight just like most of my recipes.
For more on what I'm cooking up, follow me on Instagram or Facebook and pop over to check our my shop closing out sale at West Coast Kitchen Garden (50% off everything until sold out!!!) You might also like my FREE printable weekly meal planner.
Cheers Friends, I hope you have a delicious day,
Easy Peanut Sauce Baked Chicken
- ½ c Soy Sauce (or GF Tamari Sauce)
- ½ c Peanut Butter ANY peanut butter works, all-natural, crunchy, smooth-whatever!
- ½ c Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 3 cloves Garlic, peeled and sliced (about 2-3 teaspoon grated)
- 1" Piece Ginger, thinly sliced across the grain (about 1 tablespoon grated)
- ¼ c Vegetable Oil (olive oil is also fine)
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1-3 teaspoon *Optional* Sambel Oelek This is tasty but go easy on the spice level if you're making this for kids
- 8-10 Chicken Thighs, boneless, skinless This will easily coat up to 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken pieces
- Optional garnishes include: Green onion, cilantro, basil, mint, parsley and sesame seeds.
- Preheat oven to 350'F
- Combine first 6 ingredients in small food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Then add oils (and sambal oelek if using) and further blend until emulsified.
- Lay chicken thighs snugly together in a single layer in a baking dish. Add half of the peanut sauce and stir to coat, then bake in oven 30-35 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Edges of dish may get dark but the chicken will be nicely caramelized and glazed with the sauce as well as some sauce remaining in pan to spoon over when serving.
- Serve immediately with with rice or flat bread and a delicious fresh salad or slaw. Serve with additional peanut sauce for dipping or store extra sauce in fridge for a week or in freezer for 3 months.