It's the beginning of strawberry season here on Vancouver Island and mine are doing really well. I don't have a huge garden but I've been able to pick about 1 cup at a time if I can beat my husband and daughter to it! One of my favourite ways to use my strawberries (besides in shortcake) is in this bright, sweet and tart strawberry arugula salad.
Sweet strawberries, tangy goat cheese and peppery arugula are a match made in heaven. Hazelnuts add a lovely depth and a soft crunch as well as extra protein. This is the perfect salad for brunch, lunch and dinner.
Strawberries are really versatile and I am starting to have quite a collection of delicious recipes for these sweet little fruits. If you're in the mood for sweet, check out my Strawberry Rhubarb Muffin recipe made with oats and Greek yogurt. They are a sweet and tasty treat.
Arugula Salad with Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette, Hazelnuts and Goat Cheese
- 1 c Whole Strawberries Hulled
- 2-3 sprigs Lemon Thyme Leaves only, woody stem discarded
- 2 tsp Sugar
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- ⅛ tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Champagne Vinegar Or other wine vinegar
- 6 c Arugula
- ½ c Goat Cheese Crumbled, or ricotta if you prefer milder flavor
- ½ c Hazelnuts (Filberts) Coarsely chopped
- 12 Strawberries For Garnish
- Put all ingredients except oil and vinegar into mini food processor or blender (or cup with immersion blender) and blend until smooth, then add in the oil and vinegar and blend again until frothy and emulsified.
- Divide arugula between 4 bowls. Top each bowl with ¼ of the cheese and hazelnuts, and then pour dressing over and garnish with the strawberries.
I found this fun article on little known strawberry facts on Food Republic, check it out!