A yummy, wholesome broccoli cheddar soup that is naturally gluten free and kid favorite in our house. Possibly the most requested dinner, it is thickened with vegetables and perfect on cold winter days. I love that my kids will inhale it AND it's quick and easy, ready in just 30 minutes... #momwin right?!
Vegetable Based Gluten Free Soup
A weeknight favourite in our house, this is something I feel good about feeding my kids. My broccoli cheddar soup is a much healthier version than restaurant soups without compromising flavor or texture. It's “creamy” but without the cream unless you choose to garnish the soup with a little at the end. In fact this soup is made almost entirely of vegetables and of course the cheddar cheese at the end. Broccoli cheddar soup is FULL of vitamins and fiber and a perfect easy dinner for Meatless Monday.
How does it get a creamy texture? One russet potato, a ton of broccoli then finished with a cup of cheddar. My kids go nuts for this stuff and it’s easily done in a half hour making it perfect for a busy weeknight meal. (here's my daughter trying to eat it while I was trying to take pictures)
Another of our favourite soup-as-a-meal recipes is my mom's Beet and Beef Borscht recipe and Roasted Cauliflower soup.
Step By Step Instructions
- Saute onions and carrots in your soup pot.
- Add vegetable stock and potatoes and cook until potatoes are soft.
- Add broccoli and cook a few more minutes until soft but still bright green. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender (or regular blender), puree the soup until creamy.
- Add shredded cheddar and stir until melted, season to taste with Worcestershire and Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper and serve immediately.
What To Serve With Broccoli Soup?
My kids love it served with some homemade no knead bread so I often make that too if time permits or else pick up a fresh whole wheat baguette at the store. Salad are another perfect side dish. Try it with Crisp Apple and Fennel salad, Rocket and Pear salad, or my Fresh Fig salad if you are lucky enough to have fresh figs.
This recipe is very straightforward, the only thing to be aware of is that you add the cheese at the end of cooking. Don't let the soup come to a boil after adding cheese or it can become grainy as the cheese separates.
Tips To Get Kids To Eat More Veggies
I've been lucky that my kids generally like fruits and vegetables. That being said, they love carbs more and as they've gotten older, they've gotten a little pickier. I find they are least picky when they are hungry to the first thing I do when I make dinner is chop up the veggies. I put a simple plate of raw veggies (usually 3-5 choices like cucumber, carrots, peppers, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower etc.) When the kids come in the kitchen complaining of hunger, I have an answer, a fresh plate of veggies, washed and ready to eat. While they are sometimes resistant if the vegetables aren't ready, if the plate is out, they will mindlessly start snacking on them.
Another "hidden veggie" recipe that my kids love are these Zucchini Muffins. Give those a go for more veggie snacking.
Enjoy the soup and let me know in the comments if it converts your kids to broccoli lovers!
For more on what I'm cooking up, follow me on Instagram or Facebook. You might also like my FREE printable weekly meal planner.
Cheers friends! Sabrina
Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 c Onion, Chopped About 1 medium sized onion
- ½ c Carrot, Chopped ¼" About 1 small-medium carrot
- 4 c Vegetable Stock
- 1 ½ c Russet Potato, Peeled And Chopped ¼" About 1 med-large potato
- 4 c Broccoli, Stems And Florets Chopped About 1 head of broccoli
- 1 c Cheddar, Shredded Or Cut Small 4 oz
- Salt And Pepper To Taste I used ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 5-10 drops Hot Sauce To Taste I use Tobasco and 5 drops if making for my 5 year old gives it a very subtle spice level
- In a 4 quart or similar pot, heat oil on medium until hot but not smoking. Add onion and carrot and saute, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent, then add vegetable stock and potato and simmer until carrot and potato is soft, about 10 minutes. Add broccoli, top with lid and simmer 5 more minutes or until soft but still bright green then turn heat to low.
- Using an immersion/stick blender or in a regular blender (be careful if pouring hot soup in blender and make sure lid is on firmly before blending) puree soup until smooth or desired consistency.
- Add shredded cheese, hot sauce, Worcestershire, salt and pepper and stir gently until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
(Take care not to let soup come to a boil after adding cheese or it will separate and although it will still taste good, it will have a grainy texture.)
- Garnish as desired with a swirl of cream, extra shredded cheese, fresh herbs or broccoli florets.
Mmmm looks delicious! And the model is soooo cute !
Thank you! She was a pretty willing model lol.
Mm! I will have to try this recipe! I always look to hide broccoli in cooking. I wonder if I can adapt it to cook in a Vitamix on soup cycle.
Thanks Cynthia, I think you could adapt it for a vitamix. If you are pureeing everything right away, it will all cook at the same rate, I would just add the cheese at the end after it’s all cooked and mixed. If you try it, let me know how it works! (A Vitamix is on my wish list 😉)
Great recipe for kids!
Thanks Joss, it’s definitely a family favourite in our house, I hope your family loves it as much as we do!
I love using potatoes to make creamy soup! Great idea. I’ll have to try this.
Sabrina, this is such a perfect recipe for the whole family - I mean who doesn't love a cheesy broccoli soup.
We love any kind of soup - so I'm definitely saving this one. Thanks for sharing!
I have never tried broccoli soup- it sounds so healthy and delicious!
Really?!?! I highly recommend it. Broccoli cheese is such a yummy combo and this version is healthy to boot. 🥦
The soup looks really delicious and your model is so cute!
One of my favorite soups ever!
Thanks so much Addison!