Sliced chicken thighs, mushrooms and tender, sweet sun dried tomatoes come together in this quick and easy pasta recipe for the perfect balance of healthy, hearty, sweet and savory. Chicken and sun dried tomato pasta is a perfect guilt-free dinner!
As fall begins, my family is craving heartier meals and honestly, I am too. Pasta is always a winner and chicken and sun dried tomato pasta is a regular on our weekly roster. Pasta Alla Salmone is a delicious seafood version of this.
Sardo Makes Weeknights Easy
I partnered with Canadian company, Sardo Foods again this month. (Remember this month's amazing Fire Roasted Sweet Pepper Soup, Easy Greek Quinoa Salad and that luscious Artichoke Panini? All made with Sardo's' super yummy Mediterranean products!)
The Best Sun Dried Tomatoes...Really!
Sardo's sun dried tomatoes are naturally sweet, fresh tasting and soft. They add the perfect pop of bright flavor to this chicken pasta. These are fresher tasting with a softer texture than most other packaged brands and the ones that I always use.
Chicken Stock - I kept the pasta light by using mostly chicken stock with just a bit of cream at the end to give a luxurious texture. Pasta is so delicious but if it is too heavy or rich, we tend to shy away from eating it often. Low calorie stock is the perfect base for this sauce.
Fresh Pasta - So much better than dried, I encourage you to splurge on fresh noodles when you can.
Fresh Herbs - Crisp, fresh parsley finishes it off perfectly with an extra bright green burst of flavor.
Step By Step Instructions
- Start by browning your chicken. The deeper brown you get it, the more flavor you will infuse into your sauce. Once the chicken is browned, add in your onions, saute a few minutes and add in the broth ingredients. Simmer until lightly thickened.
2. Add in the tomatoes, cooked pasta, cream and parsley. Toss to coat and heat through.
- Herbs - If you don't have parsley, use basil or chives. Sage works too but use half the amount as you would for the parsley.
- Stock - Veggie stock will work just as well as chicken stock.
- Mushrooms - Don't worry if you don't have access to wild mushrooms. Regular white or brown mushrooms or any mix of mushrooms you can get at your local grocery store will work just as well.
Vegetarian - Swap out the chicken for browned, firm tofu, extra mushrooms or chickpeas added near the end of cooking. Use vegetable stock in place of the chicken stock and you have a delicious vegetarian pasta dish.
Love easy chicken dishes? Check out my one pan Peanut Sauce Baked Chicken or simple Ranch Baked Chicken Thighs. For an Italian comfort classic Chicken Pastina is unique and interesting and for a vegan comfort pasta, I love this vegan Mac and Cheese.
Below are some readers favorite pasta (and pizza) recipes too!
Cheers and happy cooking, Friends! Sabrina
Have a wonderful and delicious day!
Chicken and Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4 Chicken Thighs, boneless, skinless and sliced in ¼" strips
- ½ c Onion, diced
- 1-2 c Mushrooms, sliced I used wild chanterelles but white button work well too
- 2 c Chicken Stock
- 2 tablespoon Cornstarch
- ½ c Heavy Cream
- 1 container Sardo Sun Dried Tomatoes, drained
- 400 grams Fresh cooked Fettuccine or similar pasta Substitute approx 280 grams of dried pasta that has been cooked
- ½ c Parsley, chopped or chiffonade Parsley or Chives are good substitutes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat non stick pan on medium high. Add chicken and saute until browned on both sides, then add mushrooms and onion and continue to cook until onions are translucent and there is no liquid in pan.
- Mix 2 tablespoon cornstarch into 2 cups chicken stock (before heating) until smooth, then add to pan and stir, continuing to cook until it cooks and thickens the sauce slightly. Add Sun Dried Tomatoes and cream, stir to combine, then add pasta and parsley, tossing to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.