Does your fruit dish ever end up looking like this? I’ve been working hard at having less waste-even working towards zero waste. We have a ways to go yet but this fresh Use It Up Fruit Salsa recipe is a great start towards a zero waste kitchen.
Sometimes the week gets away from you and I don’t get around to cutting up and using up all the fruit I bought with good intentions at the beginning of the week. Some fruits are easier to use up than others like that mushy banana at the bottom of the pile which will make our smoothie extra sweet tomorrow or go in the freezer for future muffins but other fruits can be a bit harder to use up short of eating fruit for all three meals one day.
I arrived home from work the other day knowing I needed to get to cutting up and using this fruit but I was tired and it was hard to get moving. I reminded myself I didn’t have time to sit down so I cranked up the REM (who doesn’t love some good tunes?!) got up and pretty quickly realized what I craved for dinner. (I know that music, wearing my runners in the house and having a coffee all help me break the lazy cycle and get moving!)
Simple grilled chicken and fruit salsa-easy, healthy and family friendly, this is a dinner that you can totally customize to what needs using up. Spoon it over any type of plain grilled or baked fish, chicken or sliced flank steak, scoop it up with tortilla chips or roll it up in a tortilla with your grilled meat or even use it as your side salad!
The fruit is easily interchangeable-use oranges, melons, peaches or even strawberries, kiwis and grapes, whatever needs using up. (Looking for a more classic salsa? This one is my favourite and if you want a really unique salsa, try my Rhubarb Salsa, great with tortilla chips or grilled pork chops) As for herbs, I strongly favor cilantro for a Mexican flavored salsa but again, use what you have- mint and parsley are especially good as is fennel or basil for a different flavor profile.
- 1/4 c Red Onion, Small Dice
- 1 1/2 c Mango Or Other Firm Fruit, Small Dice Use multiple kinds of fruit if you like
- 1/2-1 Jalapeno, Very Fine Dice
- 1/4 c Cilantro, Finely Sliced (1/4 c packed)
- 1/2-1 Lime, Juiced
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and let sit about 1/2 hr. Season to taste with salt and lime juice and serve.
- Delicious served over fish or chicken, in fish tacos, over tuna poke or with tortilla chips.
- *Get creative with the fruit-any combination of mango, melons, oranges, strawberries, grapes, or switch 1/2 fruit for avocado. Use up what needs using in your kitchen.