Easy To Make In Food Processor Or Thermomix
However you spell it, easy, healthy hummus (houmous, houmos...) is a solid recipe to have in your repertoire. Economical, high protein and low fat, full of fiber and just plain delicious. I've used canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans) for this but to save even more money, you can use dried beans. To use dried beans, soak and then cook them until tender, then cool before using. This is made in just 10 minutes in either your food processor or Thermomix.
Hummus is delicious as a snack but have fun garnishing it to make it a crowd pleasing appetizer. Swirl some olive oil on top and sprinkle with dukka or top with crumbled feta cheese and some kalamata olives. Try a swipe of pesto across the top and some extra basil leaves. Alternatively you can blend some flavouring right into this basic hummus. Herbs and spices always work well as does a little pesto or roasted peppers.
Serve hummus with pita chips, rice crackers, veggies or even some rustic bread like my Quick No-Knead Bread recipe.
Let me know your favourite twists on this ancient recipe below! Speaking of ancient, check out our selection of vintage home and kitchen ware too.
If you like this dip, you might like my Roasted Eggplant Dip which is delicious and has converted many an eggplant hater!
Cheers my friends!
Easy Healthy Hummus (Houmous)
- 1 can (19 oz) Chickpeas
- 1 clove Garlic
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin Seed
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tablespoon Tahini
- ½ Lemon, Juiced
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Warm Water
- Salt And Pepper To Taste
- Olive Oil, Paprika, Za'atar or Dukkah To Garnish
- In your Thermomix (set to speed 6) or food processor, add garlic, cumin seed, salt and a few tablespoon of chickpeas and process until smooth, approximately 30-60 seconds.
- Add tahini, remaining chickpeas and lemon juice and process (Thermomix speed 4) to desired consistency, 1-3 minutes. Sometimes I like mine a bit chunky, sometimes I like it really smooth, have fun!
- Add olive oil, season with salt and pepper, process 30-60 seconds and then add warm water if you want a looser consistency. I like mine fairly loose so I usually use between 2-4 tablespoon warm water but you may prefer none and have a much thicker dip.
- Scoop it into a bowl and enjoy.If you want to get a little fancy, swirl the top with your spoon to create a small moat or ridges. Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over and then sprinkle with a little paprika, za'atar or dukkah to garnish to your taste.
- Serve with fresh pita bread, cucumber or other veggies, crackers or serve alongside a Greek salad with feta.
Hummus is such a healthy and delicious snack. And it's easy and fast to make, especially with canned chickpeas. Thank you for the recipe!
You’re welcome Nicoletta and thanks for the note! I hope you enjoy it and have fun playing with different flavour additions 🙂
I love hummus !! always love it since it is so easy to make. Especially when you add garlic!
Roasted red pepper hummus is another fav of mine! I seriously need to do some digging around her to source out some good tahini!
Oooh, yes to the roasted peppers 🌶 😋 I find tahini near the peanut butter in some stores and Superstore/Loblaws has big containers in the ethnic food section. Hope that helps!
Hummus is something that I love having in my fridge - I love your garnish ideas as well as serving suggestions, Sabrina - warm pitas with the hummus and a Greek salad - perfection !
Yes, totally Denise! And thank you for the kind comments 💕
Leanne | Crumb Top Baking
Hummus really is a staple in our house! We use it as a dip or sandwich spread all the time. It's perfect for entertaining and I usually make a batch every weekend for my husband's lunches during the week. This one is a great recipe Sabrina!
Hummus just might be my favourite dip ever. (And I do love a lot of dips!) It is such a hearty, satisfying snack and always such a crowd-pleaser at gatherings. Your photos look so inviting!
Thank you so much Kim!
This is such a great hummus recipe.love the cumin seed in there. The perfect snack for work, the weekend, you name it. Everyone needs the perfect hummus recipe!
Thank you Kristen! I agree, it’s a good basic recipe for easy snacking 😊
This hummus looks divine...I love how healthy, tasty and quick hummus is! It's often my Friday night snack (with pretzels!)
Oooh nice idea, I’m always done by Friday and I love an easy dinner 👍🏼😊