Baba Ganoush That Will Make You Love Eggplant!
Who doesn't love dip?! And who doesn't love Eggplant? Well maybe a few of you? If you're not an eggplant lover, I think today's recipe will change your mind. This version of baba ganoush is tangy, rich and addictive but also healthy with lots of fiber. Thick Greek yogurt adds protein and richness while bright zippy pomegranate molasses (one of my favourite "secret" ingredients!) make this dip stand out from the rest. If you're looking for a baba ganoush recipe without tahini, this is it!
So Quick And Easy With Just A Few Ingredients
The main flavor comes from roasting your eggplant until the outside is charred. I poke holes in the eggplant so it doesn't explode and so excess moisture can escape, leaving you with a thicker dip. Once you are done roasting the eggplant, this takes just mere minutes to finish. I like mine rustic so I sometimes just mash and mix with a fork but if you like it smoother, whiz it up in your food processor.Jump to Recipe
Eggplant That Is Pretty Enough For A Party
Serve it at a party by scooping it into a big bowl with some extra pomegranate molasses (or balsamic vinegar) and olive oil drizzled around and raw veggies, crackers or pita for dipping. Or make it a salad with cut up cucumber. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and parsley to make it pretty enough for a crowd. A Middle Eastern style dessert like this Lebanese Baklava (or Baklawa) would make a delicious dessert afterwards.
Please Support Your Local Farmers When You Can
My own eggplants are not ready in the garden yet (below a pic of mine flowering-totally gorgeous right?!?) but I found these gorgeous plants at one of my favourite local farms, Shamrock Farms. If you are in the area, I highly recommend visiting them for veggie starts, flowers, vegetables and for their famous lavender fest. Lately I've been thinking a lot about the importance of shopping and supporting local with all the crazy world events. No matter where you live, I think it's really important to support your local growers and farmers <3
Let me know if this converts you to loving eggplant! If you love this recipe for baba ganoush without tahini, you might also like my Basil Aioli Dip For Vegetables and if you are looking for vegan recipes, I have many including my Vegan Italian White Beans and Vegan Mushroom and Lentil Stew.
Roasted Eggplant Dip Without Tahini (Baba Ganoush)
- 1 Large Eggplant
- 1 Garlic Clove Minced
- 2 tbsp Greek Yogurt I used low fat
- 2 tbsp Pomegranate Molasses
- ½-3/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- Pomegranate Seeds For Garnish For Garnish
- 2 tbsp Parsley For Garnish
- Preheat your broiler or BBQ and then put whole eggplant in, letting it char each side, turning ever 5 minutes or so until it is charred all over and the inside is cooked and mushy. Remove and let it cool enough to handle.
- Cut open eggplant and scoop into a bowl then add rest of ingredients except pomegranate seeds and parsley and mash with a fork, mortar and pestle or blend with a stick blender until desired consistency. This can be rustic and chunky, relatively smooth or anywhere in between. Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top and serve with pita bread or veggies or toss it with chopped up cucumber for a middle eastern salad.