All the comfort foods and warm soups are on the menu now and potato soup is one of the best. A warm and creamy bowl of soup often with leeks, herbs or bacon, maybe cheese and even just plain is divine. It leaves us with just one question, what to serve with potato soup?
There are so many options because potato soup is like a blank canvas. Go classic with some hearty homemade bread and a crisp salad. Maybe you want to dip a sandwich or add protein with a flavorful salad. Prefer something warm? Maybe a pan of roasted veggies or a savory muffin. Whatever appeals to you, I think you'll find a favorite here.
I've broken up these sides into categories so you can skip down to exactly what you want to make. And if you are looking for a delicious potato soup recipe, try my flavorful and easy vegan Potato Leek Soup recipe or Easy Homemade Panera Corn Chowder.
Bread, Breadbowl, Muffin or Biscuit
The overwhelming consensus with potato soup is to serve it with bread. Go classic with cheese bread or add veggies with easy focaccia. There is layered spinach filo's and lots of variations of garlic bread so lets dig in!
- Soft and pillowy focaccia is dressed up with olives for extra briny flavor that pairs well with creamy mild potato soup.
2. Drop biscuits are a classic side dish to serve with soup. These ones are easy and filled with cheddar, the cheese we love most with our potatoes!
3. Like the hands off approach? Rosemary No-Knead Bread is the one for you. Surprisingly fast and easier than any other yeast bread, this one is chewy and soft inside with a pleasant crust outside and rosemary is a wonderful scent alongside potato soups.
4. How about a little extra vegetables in a savory muffin? These zucchini muffins are a tender and satisfying partner to the potato. (These are gluten free)
5. A classic bread bowl is such a fun and tasty way to serve soup. Here's an easy version that bakes up soft and crusty to hold your creamy soup perfectly.
Sandwiches, Crostini and Melts
A little more interesting and variable than just bread, a sandwich can add a lot. From a plain grilled cheese to a hearty pulled pork sandwich or a spinach filled phyllo, what's your favorite potato soup side?
6. You could do a classic grilled cheddar but why not kick it up a notch? This apple brie grilled cheese is a fun and punchy pairing with a simple soup.
7. A perfect make ahead pastry, this spinach and feta filled phyllo is an awesome way to make a tasty vegetarian meal with your soup.
8. Meat, cheese and olive salad in a ciabatta bun will satisfy any appetite with is piquant flavors. Also a make ahead dish that gets better as it sits and the flavors meld together.
9. Pulled pork sandwich. The name speaks for itself and is a popular answer to the question of what to serve with potato soup.
10. Potato soup and a mushroom melt? Yes please! Use wild or store bought mushrooms in this creamy, garlicky melt with fresh parsley and you'll wow your guests.
11. Want a BIG sandwich? Try this bacon and egger alongside your creamy potato soup for a protein packed meal.
12. Making a vegan potato soup? Here's a really tasty vegan crostini to serve with your soup or as a starter.
No boring salads here. I've chosen a variety of awesome salads that will compliment potato soup well. From crisp and refreshing to hearty and protein packed, these are guaranteed to up your soup game.
13. Let's start off with a hearty cold weather salad with big bold flavors. Roasted yams and blue cheese will both compliment a potato soup well and the nuts add even more protein.
14. Apples and cheddar are well known so how about this crisp apple fennel salad with a cheesy version of the soup? A substantial and refreshing side salad.
15. Love a pasta salad? Here's one with big flavors of the Mediterranean. Al dente noodles and fresh vegetables offer a nice textural contrast with creamy soups.
16. Another Mediterranean favorite, this Panzanella salad with it's large rustic croutons is a wonderful compliment to earthy yummy pots of potato.
17. And finally, a salad with bacon! This cranberry, apple and bacon salad goes so well for obvious reasons. Sweet, salty, crunchy and even cheesy, this is a perfect partner!
Veggies - Roasted, Raw and With Dip
Now for some non-salad vegetable sides. Serve up warm roasted and baked vegetables or keep it simple (and kid friendly) with a side of raw veggies and dip.
18. Tangy and light, this basil aioli is excellent with crisp raw vegetables and a comforting bowl of potato soup.
19. Or go all in on the comfort food with this caramelized onion dip. Go bold with the blue cheese or omit it if you prefer, either way makes a classic dip favorite.
20. Pan or oven roasted veggies are a wonderful way to add a healthy comfort food. These Brussels sprouts have been tossed with garlic butter. You could roast up a sheet pan of cubed yams or sweet potatoes too.
21. These easy souffle cups bring the bacon! Just like a cafe favorite, these little bits can't be beat.
More Soup Inspiration
I hope this collection of sides has helped you find a perfect dish to serve with your potato soup. For more soup inspirations, have a browse through my soup section and have a wonderful and delicious day!