As fall begins, my family is craving heartier meals and honestly, I am too. Pasta is always a winner and Chicken and Sun Dried Tomato Fettuccine is a regular on our weekly roster. Sliced chicken thighs, wild mushrooms and tender, sweet sun dried tomatoes come together in this pasta recipe for the perfect balance of healthy, hearty, sweet and savory.
Sardo Makes Weeknights Easy
I partnered with Canadian company, Sardo Foods again this month. (Remember this month's amazing Fire Roasted Sweet Pepper Soup, Easy Greek Quinoa Salad and that luscious Artichoke Panini? All made with Sardo's' super yummy Mediterranean products!) I was excited about almost everything but the sundried tomatoes. When is the last time you had sundried tomatoes? For me it's been awhile after being turned off by leathery, acidic and dry ones so I was happily surprised by Sardo's tomatoes which were the complete opposite.
The Best Sun Dried Tomatoes...Really!
I opened the first container of sun dried tomatoes, tasted one and then proceeded to eat half the container. As I ate, I thought of all the dishes that would benefit from their authentic, rich and delicious flavor and texture. Sardo's sun dried tomatoes are naturally sweet, fresh tasting and soft. They add the perfect pop of bright flavor to this chicken pasta which I've aptly (or uncreatively) named Chicken and Sun Dried Tomato Pasta.
Pasta Can Be Light And Comforting At The Same Time
I've kept the pasta light by using mostly chicken stock. I added just a bit of cream at the end to give a luxurious texture. Pasta is so delicious but if it is too heavy or rich, we tend to shy away from eating it often.
Fresh pasta is so much better than dried so I encourage you to splurge on fresh noodles when you can. Crisp fresh parsley finishes it off perfectly but fresh basil and chives will work equally well if that's what you've got.
Have a wonderful and delicious day!
Chicken and Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Chicken Thighs, boneless, skinless and sliced in ¼" strips
- ½ c Onion, diced
- 1-2 c Mushrooms, sliced I used wild chanterelles but white button work well too
- 2 c Chicken Stock
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- ½ c Heavy Cream
- 1 container Sardo Sun Dried Tomatoes, drained
- 400 grams Fresh cooked Fettuccine or similar pasta Substitute approx 280 grams of dried pasta that has been cooked
- ½ c Parsley, chopped or chiffonade Parsley or Chives are good substitutes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat non stick pan on medium high. Add chicken and saute until browned on both sides, then add mushrooms and onion and continue to cook until onions are translucent and there is no liquid in pan.
- Mix 2 tbsp cornstarch into 2 cups chicken stock (before heating) until smooth, then add to pan and stir, continuing to cook until it cooks and thickens the sauce slightly. Add Sun Dried Tomatoes and cream, stir to combine, then add pasta and parsley, tossing to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.