This pizza recipe is so simple and really so good. The pizza dough is tried and true, it works great every time and the thinly sliced zucchini and squash blossoms add a light delicate texture and the taste of pure summer. What more can I say? If you have tons of zucchini in your garden (or a “generous” neighbor who does) you’ve gotta try this! Happy summer my friends, Sabrina
PS. If you have a lot of zucchini, you might also like to try my Zucchini Cheddar Fritter, a great way to get kids eating this prolific summer vegetable!
Basic Pizza Dough And Easy Zucchini Pizza
- 2 tsp Traditional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 c Warm Water
- 3 c Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil To coat bowl and drizzle over
- 1 Zucchini, sliced in thin rounds (Small or medium)
- 4 Zucchini Blossoms, torn into
- 1/4 c Tomato Sauce (or pizza sauce)
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 2 c Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- Turn your oven on the warm setting and let preheat. Into a large bowl or stand mixer bowl, add yeast and sugar. Then add water. (you want this quite warm but not hot as you don't want to kill the yeast) Stir and let sit for 10 minutes to get foamy (activate) while you assemble other ingredients.
- In large measuring cup add flour and salt and stir to combine well and then pour into wet ingredients.
- Stir together or turn mixer with paddle attachment on low until it comes into a ball and then knead (or mix) for about 5 minutes or so then lightly oil bowl, put dough back in and drizzle lightly with oil on top. Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap (leave air escape hole) or a clean tea towel. Turn off your oven and pop the dough inside to rise. Once it's doubled in size (approx 1 hour) take it out, preheat oven to 500' F and form it into 1 large or 2 small pizzas on a cookie sheet or pizza pan. I like to put these on parchment paper so I have no mess and they don't stick.
Topping and Baking
- Put your pizza in the oven and bake 12-15 min. Once it's bubbly and lightly browned, it's done. Take it out and slide it onto cooling racks for 5-10 minutes before slicing.