Fresh Salsa aka Pica de Gallo
March 27, 2018
: 20 min
An almost traditional Mexican Salsa recipe. I like my onions mild and so in this recipe they are briefly marinated in red wine vinegar to soften their strong flavour.
- 1/2 Red Onion, finely diced
- 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 Tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 Jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 Bunch Cilantro, coarsely chopped (approx. 1 c)
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 2 Limes, juiced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Step 1 Mix finely diced onion with vinegar and salt and let marinate while chopping other ingredients.
- Step 2 Add rest of ingredients and gently toss, adjusting lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 3 Serve with tortilla chips, cucumber slices, tacos or anything else you can use to scoop!
- Step 4 Variations:
- Step 5 1. Substitute Mango or Pineapple for the tomatoes.
- Step 6 2. Add in Mint or Basil in addition to the Cilantro
- Step 7 3. Substitute Tomatillos whizzed in the food processor for the Tomatoes