Easy Healthy Hummus (Houmous)
Such an easy and healthy basic recipe to have on hand. Once you’ve made it once or twice you won’t even need to look at the recipe. A classic Middle Eastern recipe, this is made with canned chickpeas for ultimate speed but certainly you can soak your own dried chickpeas and use those instead. If you do, I salute you!*This makes 4 very generous servings and if served with other appetizers, it will easily serve many more.*I use a 19 oz can of chickpeas. You can easily use a 14 oz can, just adjust seasoning (salt especially) accordingly.
- 1 can (19 oz) Chickpeas
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seed
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 1/2 Lemon, Juiced
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Warm Water
- Salt And Pepper To Taste
- Olive Oil, Paprika, Za’atar or Dukkah To Garnish
- In a small food processor, add garlic, cumin seed, salt and a few tbsp of chickpeas and process until smooth.
- Add tahini and process another minute until smooth, then add in remaining chickpeas and lemon juice and process to desired consistency. Sometimes I like mine a bit chunky, sometimes I like it really smooth, have fun!
- Start adding olive oil to thin as needed and then add warm water if you need more liquid. I like mine fairly loose so I usually use between 2-4 tbsp warm water but you may prefer none.
- Once you have reached your desired consistency, season with salt and pepper. Scoop it into a bowl and swirl the top with your spoon to create a small moat for your olive oil. Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over and then sprinkle with a little paprika, za’atar or dukkah to garnish to your taste.
- Serve with fresh pita bread, cucumber or other veggies, crackers or serve alongside a greek salad with feta.