A healthier version of classic broccoli cheese soup that’s even tastier than the original! Thickened with pureed vegetables and seasoned with cheddar, Worcestershire and hot sauce, this kid-pleasing and parent-pleasing recipe comes together in just 30 minutes. Gluten free and vegetarian. To read the original blog post, click here.
Broccoli Soup-Easy, Healthy and Gluten-Free
A quick and easy soup that is hearty and satisfying, perfect for a weeknight. This kid-friendly soup recipe is chock full of vegetables, fiber and protein.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 c Onion, Chopped About 1 medium sized onion
- 1/2 c Carrot, Chopped 1/4″ About 1 small-medium carrot
- 4 c Vegetable Stock
- 1 1/2 c Russet Potato, Peeled And Chopped 1/4″ About 1 med-large potato
- 4 c Broccoli, Stems And Florets Chopped About 1 head of broccoli
- 1 c Cheddar, Shredded Or Cut Small 4 oz
- Salt And Pepper To Taste I used 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 5-10 drops Hot Sauce To Taste I use Tobasco and 5 drops if making for my 5 year old gives it a very subtle spice level
In a 4 quart or similar pot, heat oil on medium until hot but not smoking. Add onion and carrot and saute, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent, then add vegetable stock and potato and simmer until carrot and potato is soft, about 10 minutes. Add broccoli, top with lid and simmer 5 more minutes or until soft but still bright green then turn heat to low.
Using an immersion/stick blender or in a regular blender (be careful if pouring hot soup in blender and make sure lid is on firmly before blending) puree soup until smooth or desired consistency.
Add shredded cheese, hot sauce, Worcestershire, salt and pepper and stir gently until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
(Take care not to let soup come to a boil after adding cheese or it will separate and although it will still taste good, it will have a grainy texture.)
Garnish as desired with a swirl of cream, extra shredded cheese, fresh herbs or broccoli florets.